Saturday 15 December 2012

How does your media product represent particular social groups?


 The  social group that my media product represents are fans of music and in particular fans of the metal-core genre.   As with any genre of music there is a stereotype associated with that genre, sometimes these are very negative. The average social stereotype of metal/metal-core fans is that of hostile rebellious teenagers, who are a problem to society. Other stereotype of the genre involves the usage of illicit substances for example drugs as well as alcohol abuse. This is a rather adverse social stereotype and like many social stereotypes hold little truth. Whilst some of the actions may be carried out by some fans it is also carried out by other members in society in other social groups and is as case of a few ruining it for the majority.

Within my magazine I have avoided the negative stereotypes, which have been formulated from an outsiders view of the genre and I have instead opted to represent metal-core fans in a fairer way thought the eyes of the majority who enjoy the genre. The fans of the genre are represented as party goers who have a good time and enjoy them self’s and whilst unacceptable behaviour may happen it is condemned by the majority.

Another way that I have represented the fans of the metal core genre is by choosing the attire that was worn by my models for the photo shoots.  The first shoot that I did I had the models wear shirts and semi smart wear, yet I had them rough it up to make it look as if they were breaking social normalities in the way the genre of music is considered to no follow the normality of society as a whole. Whilst I believed this to be a good concept and have potential to work, it subverted the conventions of a metal core magazine in a way that it no longer fitted the genre. I was forced to reshoot with the models wearing more iconic clothing that was representing of the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment